Editor’s note: Dr. Sara Ochoa, DVM is a graduate of St. George’s University with a Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine. She shares her advice on the best dog food for Pit Bull Terriers below.
Pit Bulls are very sweet and active dogs. While they do get a bad rap sometimes, they actually make great pets. When looking for a diet for your Pit Bull, you will want to make sure that it is a high-quality diet that is full of protein, vitamins, and minerals to help keep your Pit Bull healthy.
Some Pit Bulls can suffer from allergies or chronic ear infections. Feeding your Pit Bull a specialized diet can help treat and prevent these issues. When looking for a great diet to feed your Pit Bull, consider these diets.
- Best Overall Dog Food for Pit Bulls
- Best Dog Food for Pit Bull Puppy
- Best Dog Food for Pit Bulls with Skin Allergies
- Best Dog Food for Pit Bulls with Ear Problems
- Best Dog Food for Senior Pit Bulls
- How Much Food Should I Feed My Pit Bull?
- How Long Should My Pit Bull Wait After Eating to Exercise?
Best Overall Dog Food for Pit Bulls
Adult Pit Bulls are very active and have very strong muscles. Crave makes a high-protein diet that is great to feed to your Pit Bull. This diet contains real lamb as their first ingredient. It is also free of grains, artificial flavors, and preservatives.
It is also packed full of vitamins and minerals to keep your Pit Bull healthy and happy for many years. This diet is a favorite among Pit Bull owners.
- High quality protein source
- 34% protein found in this diet
- No artificial preservatives
- Contains chicken which can be a cause of food allergies in some Pit Bulls
Best Dog Food for Pit Bull Puppy
Pit bulls are large breed dogs and will need to eat a large breed puppy food to help keep up with their fast-growing and high energy demands. Orijen is a great puppy food that you can feed to your Pit Bull Puppy.
The first 5 ingredients found in this diet are from animal protein sources. This makes it an excellent diet to help your Pit Bull develop strong muscles.
It is also packed full of vitamins and minerals that will support a great digestive system, help support and develop their immune system and give them healthy skin and coat. Omega fatty acids are also found in this diet which is great at helping your Pit Bulls joints as they are growing.
- Formulated for puppies
- Contains 5 high-quality proteins
- Supports digestion, immune system, and joint health
- More expensive than other diets
Best Dog Food for Pit Bulls with Skin Allergies
Pit Bull can have skin allergies. Blue, Grey, and White Pit Bulls are more commonly seen with allergies than some of the other coat colors. These dogs can be very itchy, and their skin may constantly need care and attention. The food that you are feeding to your Pit Bull can also help protect your dog’s skin.
Diamond Natural Skin and Coat is a great diet to feed your Pit Bull that has skin allergies. This diet is made with high-quality salmon and no grains.
Diamond dog food contains fatty acids that help protect your Pit Bulls coat. It also contains probiotics that will help aid in digestion in your Pit Bull. All of the ingredients found in this diet are made and sourced in the USA.
- Contains fatty acids to help with skin allergies
- High quality protein sourced in the USA
- No artificial flavors and preservatives
- Grain-free can cause heart issues in large breed dogs
Best Dog Food for Pit Bulls with Ear Problems
Ear problems can be seen in dogs with environmental allergies and can be a sign of food allergies. If your dog does have a food allergy feeding them a limited ingredient diet such as Canidae Pure Limited Ingredient dog food can help prevent these ear issues from reoccurring.
Canidae contains salmon and sweet potatoes as their main ingredients and only contains 10 main ingredients in their food. It is also packed with vitamins and minerals that your dog will need to have a healthy immune system and a nice shiny coat.
There are also probiotics to help aid your Pitbull with digestion. This diet does not contain any artificial ingredients, preservatives, or fillers which many dogs are allergic to.
If your Pit Bull has chronic ear infections, consider switching to Canidae Pure Limited Ingredient dog food.
- Contains a limited number of ingredients
- Helps with immunity and digestion
- More expensive than other diets
Best Dog Food for Senior Pit Bulls
As your Pit Bull gets older, they become more sedentary and can develop hip and joint issues. Once your Pit Bull reaches 7 years old, it is best to switch them to a senior adult diet.
Victor Super dog food will help keep your Pit Bull at an ideal weight and provides added nutrients to help protect their joints.
This diet contains Glucosamine and Chondroitin, which are both great to help decrease inflammation and pain in your dog’s joints. It is also packed with vitamins and minerals that a senior dog will need to stay healthy and happy for many years.
- Weight management
- Supports healthy hips and joints
- Protects skin and coat
- Picky eaters may not like the taste
How Much Food Should I Feed My Pit Bull?
When feeding your Pit Bull, you need to make sure that you are giving them enough food to keep up with their energy demands. For a full grown Pit Bull, a good rule to follow when feeding your Pit Bull is 1 cup per 20 pounds.
When your Pit Bull is a puppy, you may need to feed twice this amount to keep up with their active lifestyle. Once your Pit Bull reaches their adult size, you will need to decrease the amount of food that you are feeding to prevent them from becoming overweight.
How Long Should My Pit Bull Wait After Eating to Exercise?
In addition, you should also wait to feed your dog for 30 minutes after exercising.
Pit Bulls are fun and active dogs. There are many great diets to feed your Pit Bull. These are some of the best diets that you can feed your Pit Bull to help keep them happy and healthy.
- Best Dog Treats for Pit Bulls [Veterinarian Approved Pit Bull Terrier Treats]
- Best Dog Food for Westies [Veterinarian Approved Westie Feeding Guide]
- Best Dog Food for Jack Russell Terriers [Veterinarian Approved Jack Russell Feeding Guide]
- Best Dog Food for Bull Terriers [Veterinarian Approved Bull Terrier Feeding Guide]
- Best Dog Food For Boston Terriers [Veterinarian Approved Boston Terrier Feeding Guide]
- Best Dog Food For Scottish Terriers [Veterinarian Approved Scottie Feeding Guide]